Here we offer some basic information about study abroad possibilities for UMBC students in Asia. For more detailed information, please visit UMBC’s Study Abroad Programs’ website, and carefully read the materials for prospective students. Of course you are most welcome to speak to the Asian Studies Program Director as well about study abroad. In reading the materials, please pay particular attention to the requirements for each program, as these vary widely.
A. China and Hong Kong
1. International Student Exchange Program: Offers exchange programs, for which students pay Frostburg State tuition room and board, and direct programs, which have different program fees. At least one year of university-level Chinese is recommended.
Location: Chinese University of Hong Kong
2. The Alliance on Global Education (a UMBC affiliate): Locations: Beijing University of Language and Culture, Beijing; Fudan University, Shanghai; Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai. Semester, academic year and summer available.
3. CET Study Abroad Semester, year and summer programs in Harbin, Beijing, Shanghai and Kunming.
1. J.F. Oberlin University:A private four-year university located in Machida, a suburb of Tokyo. Its Reconnaissance Japan Program (http://www.obirin.ac.jp/en/rj/index.html) is for exchange students from overseas partner institutions (UMBC is one of them). Students may participate in this program for either a single semester or an academic year; it offers Japanese language skills and training courses from the introductory to advanced levels. A wide variety of culture and civilization courses on Japan taught in English are also offered each semester. UMBC receives a special tuition rate. Please see the Director for more details.
3. Council for International Educational Exchange (a UMBC affiliate): Location: Sophia University, Tokyo. Semester, academic year, and summer available.
4. Institute for the International Education of Students (a UMBC affiliate): Locations: Nagoya and Tokyo. Semester, academic year, and summer available.
5. University Study Abroad Consortium (USAC) (a UMBC affiliate): Locations: Hiroshima and Osaka. Semester, academic year, and summer available.
1. UMBC Direct in Korea: Location: Yonsei University, Seoul. Semester and academic year available.
2. International Student Exchange Program: Locations: four universities throughout South Korea; Semester and academic year possible.
4. Summer Study in Korea: Korea University’s Korean Language and Culture Center Intensive Program (Summer)
5. Summer Study in Korea: Yonsei University’s Yonsei International Summer School
7. Summer Study in Korea: Seoul National University’s Korean Language Education Center
8. Korea University – summer, semester and year programs.
9. Konkuk University – summer, semester and year programs.
1. National Taiwan University (NTU) 國立台灣大學 （台大）
Centrally located at Gongguan MRT stop. There are two options for study at NTU:
- ICLP (Int’l Chinese Language Program): This is the old Stanford IUP program, which moved to Beijing in the 1990s and was renamed the ICLP in Taiwan. It’s an intensive program – unlike all the others, you could not do something else at the same time as you completed this program. Has its own curriculum. Tuition rates are also much higher. Small classes – 3 or 4 students per class, and you take separate hour-long electives in reading, speaking, composition, etc. Also teaches classical Chinese. Traditionally only for more advanced students, but they’ve added a beginner’s section.
- Chinese Language Division Language Center: http://cld.liberal.ntu.edu.tw/en/language.htm
This is NTU’s answer to the NTNU/Wenhua Chinese programs, and it follows their model. Classes meet for just under three hours, and are set at beginning, intermediate, and advanced. Uses the curriculum shared by most of the language centers in Taipei.
2. National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) 國立台灣師範大學 （師大）
- Mandarin Training Center: http://en.ntnu.edu.tw, http://220.127.116.11/mtcweb/index.php?visitor=future-student&lang=en
One of the flagship programs for foreign students; they developed most of the curriculum used around the island (including the Practical Audio-Visual Chinese series of books). It’s centrally located near the Taipower Building MRT stop on Hoping (Heping) Road.
Some options for India study abroad are:
1. International Studies Abroad in Hyderabad
2. USAC in Bangalore
3. Alliance for Global Education in Manipul, Varanasi and Pune
4. Minnesota Studies in International Development in Bangalore
5. CIEE in Hyderabad
6. University of Wisconsin-Madison in Varanasi
7. School for International Training in the following:
Jaipur (Sustainable Development)
New Delhi (National Identity and the Arts) and again in
New Delhi (Public Health Policy)
SIT’s programs are thematically based, whereas most of the others are either enrollment with local students or island programs with India-specific content plus language study.