Upcoming Public Lectures or Conference Papers:
- "Labor Migration, Households and Reproducing the "Transnational Housewife", to be presented at UMBPas part of their Transnational South Asian series on November 15, 2013.
- Dr. Bhatt is running a workshop on Feminist Oral Histories at theUniversity of Washington in January 2014.
- "Community Memories, Cultural Histories: Life in the Pacfic Northwest through South Asian Stories."Lecturepresented at the Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience on January 18, 2014.
- "Reflections on Immigration, History, and Community Formation in the Pacific NW."
- Lecture based on Dr. Bhatt's book, Roots and Reflections:South Asians in the Pacific Northwest, at the Search For Meaning BookFestival in Seattle on February 15, 2014.
- Invited panelist on a workshop entitled "Using the Digital Archive in the Classroom," at the Associationfor Asian Studies Conference, March 2014.
- Alumnae Spotlight - Women's Studio Workshop http://www.wsworkshop.org/2014/08/alumnae-spotlight-irene-chan/
- Artist Residency
Silver Spring, Maryland
To see a complete list of her current and upcoming events:
- Public Lecture: "Indian Security Across the Conflict Spectrum," Joint FAO Program Asia Pacific Course, Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies, Washington,D.C., September 16, 2013.
- The Faculty of Educational Sciences at the University of Uppsala, Sweden, recently announced that David Mitch, Professor of Economics at UMBC, as been selected to receivean honorary doctorate in recognition of his scholarship on the economic history ofeducation. The conferment ceremony occurredin January of 2014.
- Public Lecture: "Set in Stone? Posthumous Biographies, Funerary Inscriptions, and the Building of Mid-Tang Literati Reputations," delivered at Harvard University's ChinaHumanities Seminar on April, 2013: http://fairbank.fas.harvard.edu/event/anna-shields
- Essay published in an edited volume just released from the University of California Press, Idle Talk: Gossip and Anecdote in Traditional China: http://www.amazon.com/Idle-Talk-Anecdote-Traditional-Perspectives/dp/1938169093/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;amp;qid=1380194185&amp;amp;sr=8-1&amp;amp;keywords=gossip+traditional+china)
- Contract received from Harvard University's Asia Center for book manuscript, "One Who Knows Me": Friendship and Literary Culture in Mid-Tang China. Publication isexpected in 2014.
- On LGBT issues in India:
Memoir in Granta on 6/25/13:
- Op-ed in NY Times on 7/1/13:
Public Appearances for The City of Devi at various book festivals:
- Outwrite LGBT Book Fair, Washington, DC, July 3
- Decatur Book Festival, Atlanta, GA, July 31
- National Book Festival, Washington, DC, Sep 21
- Fall for the Book Festival, GMU, VA, Sep 27
- Asian American Writers' Workshop, Brooklyn, NY, Oct 5
- Texas Book Festival, Austin, TX, Oct 26
Recent Interviews dealing with Asian issues:
- Mumbai Mid-Day on 7/7:
- Arts Atlanta, on 9/18:
- An EAA Interview with 2013 Franklin R. Buchanan Winner
- Constantine Vaporis. Education About Asia, vol. 18, 3 (January 2014), pp. 68-69.
- “Performance, Display, and the Spectacular: The ‘Great Peace’ and Samurai Culture in Tokugawa Japan.” Invited lecture presented to theFriends of the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, MD, December 17, 2013.
- Published article titled "Alternate Attendance as Performance," in the National Museum of Japanese History's bi-monthly magazine.
- "REKIHAKU." It was the lead article in the magazine's special edition on processions. December 1, 2013.
- Awarded UMBC Presidential Research Professor, 2013-16.
- Completed National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Summer Institute, “India's Past and the Making of the Present.” New Delhi, India, June 30-July 27, 2013.
- Book published: Voices of the Shogun’s Age. Contemporary Accounts of Daily Life in Tokugawa Japan, 1603-1868. Westview Press, July 2013.(http://www.abc-clio.com/product.aspx?isbn=978031339200.) Paperback edition, Westview Press, July 2013. Winner of Franklin R. Buchanan Prize (of the Association for AsianStudies) for Curricular Materials.
- Lecture published (in Greek): “Οι Σαμουράι στο Έντο και ο Πολιτισμός της Πρώιμης Σύγχρονης Ιαπωνίας” (The Samurai in Edo and the State in Early Modern Japan). Athens, Greece:Hellenic-Japanese Center, 2013 (ISBN: 978-960-99072-1-7).
- Conference paper delivered: “Performance, Display, and the Spectacular: The ‘Great Peace’ and Samurai Culture in Tokugawa Japan.” Invited p aper delivered at the CongresoInternacional de Asociación Latinoamericana de Estudios de Asia y África (ALADAA),National University of La Plata, La Plata, Argentina, August 14, 2013.